Supporting Culture Change to Help All Students Succeed
“Using the Starfish platform, employees across the college are increasingly able to record, share, and act upon information to improve student outcomes. The NWTC team successfully launched a rapid roll-out of Starfish EARLY ALERT with training and implementation for more than 250 full-time faculty in less than eight months. Student success outcomes are improving as a result of this technology and the team is ready to broaden the use of tools and features in the next year.”
– Lori Suddick, Vice President for Learning, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
Since 2010, the Northeast Wisconsin Technical College “Dream: Learn It, Live It” initiative has centered on the idea that every employee contributes to student retention and completion. NWTC credits the introduction of Starfish EARLY ALERT™ and Starfish CONNECT™ with supporting this positive culture change with straightforward tools.
Today, faculty provide their input through Progress Surveys, students make Academic Advising appointments online, advisors streamline meeting prep time, and data informs campus-wide decision-making.
The College reports that students identified through the Starfish® Enterprise Success Platform™ who subsequently met with a counselor during the semester were significantly more likely to complete their courses and register in the subsequent semester. In addition, during the pilot period:
- Faculty participation was strong. In spring 2014, 291 faculty members raised 7,363 flags (and 12,250 Kudos) for 6,193 students.
- Gateway course pass rates have increased to 70.7% in 2013-2014 (up 7.6 percentage points since 2009-2010). Overall course pass rates have increased to 81.7% of credit hours completed, surpassing NWTC’s goal of 80%.
- The number of English Language Learner (ELL) students transitioning to a degree or diploma program jumped from 21 students in 20120-2013 to 77 students in 2013-2014.
Learn more about Starfish at NWTC:
- Northeast Wisconsin Technical College Supports a Campus-wide Culture of Success – Press Release, January 2015
- Starfish Retention Solutions Announces 2014 Starfish 360 Award Winners – Press Release, September 2013
Hear their story:
- Supporting Campus-Wide Culture Change – Archived Webinar, February 2015